I recently hit a problem with builds triggered by branch policies in Azure DevOps Repos. With the help of Microsoft I found out the problem and I thought it worth writing up uncase others hit the issue.
Assume you have a Git repo with source for the UI, backend Services and common code in sub folders
On the Master branch there are a policies of running
- one build for anything in the UI folder/project or common folder/project
- and a different build for anything in the Services folder/project or common folder/project
These build were filtered by path using the filters
I discovered the problem by doing the following
- Create a PR for some work that effects the UI project
- As expected the UI build triggers
- Update the PR with a second commit for the Services code
- The Service build is not triggered
The fix was simple it turns out. Remove the spaces from the filter paths so they become
Once this was done the builds triggered as expected.
Thanks again to the Azure DevOps Product Group for the help