I did an event yesterday on using the TFS Database Import Service to do migrations from on premises TFS to VSTS.
During the presentation I discussed some of the other migration options available. Not everyone needs a high fidelity migration, bring everything over. Some teams may want to just bring over their current source or just a subset of their source. Maybe they are making a major change in work practices and want to start anew on VSTS.
To try to give an idea of the options I have produced this flow chart to help with the choices
It mentions a few 3rd party tools in the flowchart, so here are some useful links
- TFS Integration Platform – can in theory move source and work items – but really try not to use it!
- VSTS Sync Migration Tools – moves Work items
- Timely Migration – moves TFVC source (commercial product)
- OpsHub – moves Team Projects (free & commercial versions)
- Git TFS – move TFVC into Git
- TFS Office Integration – moves work items via Excel
- TFS Database Import Service – the full fidelity service
Also, if you find yourself in the orange box at the bottom and don’t want to use the TFS Database Import Service for some reason, have a look at this post I did on Microsoft’s UK Developers site. It might give you some ideas