But it works on my PC!

The random thoughts of Richard Fennell on technology and software development

Our upgrade to TFS 2012.2 has worked OK

I have mentioned in past posts the issues we had doing our first quarterly update for TFS 2012. Well today we had scheduled our upgrade to 2012.2 and I am please to say it all seems to have worked.

Unlike the last upgrade, this time we were doing nothing complex such as moving DB tier SQL instances; so it was a straight upgrade of a dual tier TFS 2012.1 instance with the DB being stored on a SQL2012 Availability Group (in previous updates you had to remove the DBs from the availability group for the update, with update 2 this is no longer required).

So we ran the EXE, all the files were copied on OK. So when we got to the verify stage of the wizard we had expected no issues, but the tool reported problems with the servers HTTPS Url. A quick check showed the issue was the server had the TFS ODATA service bound to HTTP on port 433, but using a different IP address to that used by TFS itself. As soon as this web site was stopped the wizard passed verification and the upgrade proceeded without an errors.

So it would seem that the verification does a rather basic check to see if port 443 is used on any IP address on the server, not just the ones being used TFS as identified via either IP address or host header bindings.

The only other thing we have had to do is upgrade Tiago’s Team Foundation Task Board Enhancer, without the upgrade the previous version of this extension did not work.

So not too bad an experience.

Comments are closed