But it works on my PC!

The random thoughts of Richard Fennell on technology and software development

Problems re-publishing an Access site to SharePoint 2010

After applying SP1 to a SharePoint 2010 farm we found we were unable to run any macros in an Access Services site, it gave a –4002 error. We had seen this error in the past, but the solutions that worked then did not help. As this site was critical, as a workaround, we moved the site to a non-patched SP2010 instance. This was done via a quick site collection backup and restore process.  This allowed us to dig into the problem at our leisure.

Eventually we fixed the problem by deleting and recreating the Access Services application within SharePoint on the patched farm. We assume some property was changed/corrupted/deleted in the application of the service pack.

So we now had a working patched farm, but also a duplicate of Access Services site with changed data. We could not just backup and restore this as other sites in the collection had also changed. Turns out getting this data back onto the production farm took a bit of work, more than we expected. This is the process we used

  1. Open the Access Services site in a browser on the duplicate server
  2. Select the open in Access option, we used Access 2010, which it had originally been created in
  3. When Access had opened the site, use the ‘save as’ option to save a local copy of the DB. We now had a disconnected local copy on a PC. We thought we could just re-publish this, how wrong we were.
  4. We ran the web compatibility checker expecting no errors, but it reported a couple of them. In one form and one query extra column references had been added that referenced the auto created SharePoint library columns (date and id stamps basically) These had to be deleted by hand.
  5. We then could publish back to the production server
  6. We watched as the structure and data was publish
  7. Then it errored. On checking the log we saw that it claimed a lookup reference had invalid data (though we could not see offending rows and it was working OK). Luckily the table in question contained temporary data we could just delete, so we tried to publish again
  8. Then it errored .On checking the logs again we saw it reported it could not copy to http://127.0.0.1 – No idea why it looking for localhost! Interestingly if we tried to publish back to another site URL on the non-patched server it work! Very strange
  9. On a whim I repeated this whole process but using Access 2013 RC, and strangely it worked

So I now had my Access Services site re-published and fully working on a patched farm. That was all a bit too complex for my tastes

Comments are closed